The teaching of Prophet Muhammed (SAW) is called Hadiths which is uniquely different from the pristine word of Allah – The Glorious Quran. Some of the selected sayings of the Prophet that defines practicing Muslims and negates the obnoxious ideology of Boko Haram include:
(1) The Compassionate One (God) has mercy on those who are merciful. If you show mercy to those who are on earth, He who is in heaven will show mercy to you.
(2) None of you truly believes until he wishes for his brother what he wishes for himself.
(3) He who eats his fill while his neighbor goes to bed without food is not a believer.
(4) The powerful is not he who knocks the other down, indeed the powerful is he who controls himself in a fit of anger.
(5) Allah, the Supreme Being, does not judge you according to your bodies and appearances but he scans your hearts and looks into your deeds.
(6) The best of you is he who is best to his family, and I (Muhammed) am the best among you to my family.
(7) The best of you are those who are best to their women.
(8) The best of Islam is to behave with gentleness and tolerance.
(9) The best people are those most beneficial to other people.
In the Glorious Quran, Almighty Allah describes practicing Muslims based on justice and equity with the following features:
“Ye are the best of peoples, evolved for mankind, enjoining what is right, forbidding what is wrong, and believing in Allah. If only the People of the Book (Christians and Jews) had faith, it were best for them: among them are some who have faith, but most of them are perverted transgressors.” - Quran 3:110
“Let there be people among you, who invite to the best [in religion]; and command that which is just, and forbid that which is evil; and they shall be successful.” - Quran 3:104
"Those who follow the apostle, the unlettered Prophet, whom they find mentioned in their own (scriptures), - in the law and the Gospel; - for he commands them what is just and forbids them what is evil; he allows them as lawful what is good (and pure) and prohibits them from what is bad (and impure); He releases them from their heavy burdens and from the yokes that are upon them. So it is those who believe in him, honour him, help him, and follow the light which is sent down with him, - it is they who will prosper." - Quran 7:157
“And the faithful men, and the faithful women are friends one to another: They command that which is just, and they forbid that which is evil; and they are constant at prayer, and pay their appointed alms; and they obey God, and his apostle: Unto these will God be Merciful; for He [is] Mighty [and] Wise” – Quran 9:71
Selected Hadiths culled from “The Best in Islam”. Dr. Bilal Philips. Dar Al Fatah. UAE. 1996.